Criminal Cases:

      If you do not show up for a scheduled court appearance for a criminal case in Municipal Court, you should expect a warrant to be issued for your arrest. This arrest warrant is called a CAPIAS and usually has a bond amount stated with it. Once you are arrested, the bond must be posted to secure your release from jail. In order to avoid the issuance of a CAPIAS, please see WHAT TO DO IF YOU CANNOT MAKE A COURT APPEARANCE. A CAPIAS also can be expected if you don't pay the fine and don't show up on the date ordered by the court, see Stay to Pay.

    You should know that once a CAPIAS is issued, the Clerk of Courts notifies the BMV of the CAPIAS issuance. The BMV in turn blocks the person's driver's license and vehicle registration issuance or renewal, and assesses the person a $15 fee.

    If  you missed a court appearance or failed to pay a fine for a criminal case and think a CAPIAS may have been issued for your arrest, you should immediately call your attorney, if you have one, or take immediate steps to obtain an attorney, see HOW TO FIND A LAWYER.

    With or without a lawyer, you may qualify for a new program called the Failure To Appear or FTA program. If you have not previously participated in the program, and agree to cooperate, the CAPIAS issued against you will be recalled and you will be allowed to appear in court without posting a bond. Call (513) 946-6153 to see if you qualify for the program.

    In any case, you may call the Clerk of Court's office at (513) 946-6010 (this is a 24 hour number) to determine whether a CAPIAS has been issued and the amount of any bond. Please also see HOW TO FIND WHEN & WHERE A CASE WILL BE HEARD for how to get additional information on your case. The clerk's office should be able to give you instructions on how to post bond or otherwise respond to the CAPIAS. If the CAPIAS was issued for your failure to pay a fine, the clerk's office can tell you how to pay the fine, see Stay to Pay.

Civil Cases:

    In civil cases, such as evictions and suits for money, your failure to appear for a scheduled appearance can result in the case being dismissed if you filed the complaint, or a default judgment being rendered against you, if the suit was brought against you.